Friday, October 15, 2010

Broken road

We walked together, for miles. The road seemed to be never ending. But I didn't mind. His hands held me tight. I had no reason to complain. Shade and light, dusk and dawn, rotations and revolutions… One step at a time… We rarely spoke… There was nothing important to be said. Be and being. The sun never left the horizon and the moon longed to arrive. The ocean was far away. We heard the waves fight with the land. The battle was never ending.

As I closed my eyes, I heard him whisper my name. I turned to see in his direction. He was standing far away, staring at the distant horizon, at the edge of the cliff. I walked towards him. My footsteps filled the silence. I stood next to him. We were looking in the same direction. I smiled to myself and he caught a glimpse of me. He pulled me close to himself and held me closely. This is the most beautiful horizon I'll ever get to see, I told myself. He read my thoughts and held me tighter, almost embracing me. I rested my head on his shoulders. His hands comforted my head as I closed my eyes. No words were spoken. No words were needed. Nothing was to be heard. It was all known. Everything stood explained in that moment. And that moment lasted forever.

The sun drenched in the moonlight and everything below the sky glowed, like never before. A teardrop slowly trembled from my eye, rolling down the cheek. He held it in his palm and then looked deeply in my eyes.

"Lets lie down", he whispered.

I looked at the ground beneath our feet. An ocean of grass covered the moist earth. His arms were wide spread, his skin caressing the grass. His fingers embraced an ounce of earth. My head was resting over his chest, so close that I could hear every beat of his heart. I held him tight, not wanting to let him go. He didn't want to go away either. But one of us had to play wise about it. He broke the silence and the tear remained in my eye.

"Don't think too much… You know, I hate to see you this way…"

"All of this will soon be a dream… And I will be living this dream for the rest of my life…"

He didn't say anything. His grip hardened over me. The tears finally found their way out of my swollen eyes. My heart went numb with pain. His trembling shook my numbness. I knew that he was weeping from within. He took my left hand and caressed the ring that he'd given me.

My fingers were ice cold. The sky went darker as heavy clouds clearly hid the stars that were seen. Everything around us slowed down. Only time refused to pay heed to the rest of everything. Time never listens or hears.

No comments: